Current:Home > MarketsCharles H. Sloan-Billions in NIH grants could be jeopardized by appointments snafu, Republicans say -TrueNorth Finance Path
Charles H. Sloan-Billions in NIH grants could be jeopardized by appointments snafu, Republicans say
SignalHub View
Date:2025-04-07 03:59:56
The Charles H. SloanBiden administration allegedly failed to correctly reappoint more than a dozen top-ranking National Institutes of Health leaders, House Republicans say, raising questions about the legality of billions in federal grants doled out by those officials over the last year.
Their claim, detailed Friday in a letter to Health and Human Services Secretary Xavier Becerra, obtained by CBS News, follows a monthslong probe led by Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers, the Republican chair of the House Energy & Commerce Committee, into vacancies at the agency.
"The failure to reappoint the above NIH IC Directors jeopardizes the legal validity of more than $25 billion in federal biomedical research grants made in 2022 alone," the committee wrote.
- House Energy & Commerce Committee letter to HHS Secretary Xavier Becerra
- Letter attachments
The Biden administration rebutted the GOP-led committee's accusations that it ran afoul of the law. An HHS official familiar with the matter, who responded on the condition of anonymity, said the committee was misrepresenting the requirements.
The committee's letter stems from the 21st Century Cures Act passed in 2016, which says that directors atop the institutes and centers within the NIH have five-year term limits before they must be reappointed.
When the term limits of 14 of these officials came due at the end of 2021, the Biden administration says the NIH director correctly reappointed them. The law says that they must be "appointed by the Secretary, acting through the Director of the National Institutes of Health."
The committee says that the way those officials were reappointed falls short of what the law demands from Becerra himself.
"Specifically, it requires the Secretary of HHS to reappoint NIH IC Directors, including those who were serving at the time of the law's enactment when their five-year terms expired on December 12, 2021," the letter stated.
After the committee's probe was launched, Becerra signed affidavits the department says retroactively ratified and adopted the appointments.
While the Biden administration thinks its grants remain on sound footing, the HHS official said Becerra's affidavits were intended to bolster defenses against challenges that might upend them in the courts.
The committee questioned the legality of that move. Among the issues it flagged were the retirements of Dr. Anthony Fauci, formerly head of the National Institutes of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, and Dr. Roger Glass, who had headed the Fogarty International Center. Both stepped down months before Becerra signed the affidavits in June.
"HHS and the NIH should have known within days of receiving the Committee's March 14, 2022, letter that the reappointments as legally required had not occurred. Rather than addressing the problem in consultation with the Committee, HHS and the NIH repeatedly misled the Committee," the committee wrote of its monthslong back-and-forth with the department.
The HHS official insisted that the department had cooperated with the committee's questions in good faith, voluntarily producing documents and responses to the inquiry.
After CBS News published this story, an HHS spokesperson provided an on-the-record statement Monday saying: "The Committee's allegations are clearly politically motivated and lack merit. As their own report shows, the prior administration appointed at least five NIH IC officials under the process they now attack. The Department stands by the legitimacy of these NIH IC Directors' reappointments."
Thousands of researchers compete every year for NIH funding, which support a variety of projects ranging from fundamental laboratory research to human clinical trials.
Asked how those programs might be affected, a committee aide told CBS News, "It is unclear what the impact will be, but it creates unnecessary uncertainty and opens the door to legal challenges, While we are unaware of any other Cabinet Secretaries committing such egregious process violations, a similar case involving SEC Administrative Law Judges required the decisions made by improperly appointed officials be relitigated in front of a legally appointed judge."
The committee says its probe into the issue is continuing and prompted a renewed round of questions to the department, as well as the possibility of demanding interviews from HHS and NIH officials.
Its letter to Becerra warned that "intentional misstatements or omissions" may constitute "federal criminal violations under 18 USC 1001," adding that it serves as a formal request to preserve "all existing and future records."
"Institute directors with discretion to award billions or even hundreds of millions in research funding are, by definition, exercising significant authority pursuant to the laws of the United States. As such, institute directors are the quintessential 'inferior officers,'" a former senior HHS official told CBS News.
"The Secretary cannot delegate his or her constitutional authority to appoint inferior officers. It is my understanding that prior administrations of both parties zealously guarded the appointments process and took care to ensure that inferior officers were properly appointed," said the former senior official, who previously served in the Bush, Reagan and Trump administrations.
The Republican-led committee's letter comes as the Biden administration has yet to fill key vacancies in the NIH leadership.
The agency has been without a director since December 2021, when Dr. Francis Collins stepped down from his post.
In May, President Biden announced he planned to nominate Dr. Monica Bertagnolli — currently head of the NIH's National Cancer Institute — to fill the role.
So far, Bertagnolli's nomination is awaiting Senate confirmation.
Independent Sen. Bernie Sanders, chair of the panel charged with signing off on HHS nominees, has vowed not to move forward with the nomination without new pledges from the Biden administration on drug prices.
"I will oppose all nominations until we have a very clear strategy on the part of the government … as to how we're going to lower the outrageously high cost of prescription drugs," Sanders told The Washington Post last month.
- In:
- United States Department of Health and Human Services
- Biden Administration
- Republican Party
- United States House of Representatives
Catherine Herridge is a senior investigative correspondent for CBS News covering national security and intelligence based in Washington, D.C.
TwitterveryGood! (33)
Related
- Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
- As NFL reaches stretch run, here are five players who need to step up
- Ya Filthy Animals Will Love Macaulay Culkin and Catherine O’Hara’s Home Alone Reunion
- Movie armorer in ‘Rust’ fatal shooting pleads not guilty to unrelated gun charge
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Indiana coroner identifies remains of teen girl found buried on land of man charged in her death
- Candle Day sale at Bath & Body Works is here: The $9.95 candle deal you don't want to miss
- 'Santa! I know him!' How to watch 'Elf' this holiday: TV listings, streaming and more
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- Von Miller turns himself in after arrest warrant issued for alleged assault of pregnant woman
Ranking
- Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
- 'Golden Bachelor' after that proposal: Gerry and Theresa talk finale drama, 'naughty' outing
- Astronomers discover rare sight: 6 planets orbiting star in 'pristine configuration'
- Developing nations press rich world to better fight climate change at U.N. climate summit
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- A Kansas woman died in an apartment fire. Her family blames the 911 dispatch center’s mistakes
- Barbie’s Simu Liu Shares He's Facing Health Scares
- 'Santa! I know him!' How to watch 'Elf' this holiday: TV listings, streaming and more
Recommendation
Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
Meg Ryan defends her and Dennis Quaid's son, Jack Quaid, from 'nepo baby' criticism
Harmful ‘forever chemicals’ found in freshwater fish, yet most states don’t warn residents
Former Child Star Jonathan Taylor Thomas Seen on First Public Outing in 2 Years
See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
Court pauses federal policy allowing abortion clinic operators to get grants -- but only in Ohio
Candle Day sale at Bath & Body Works is here: The $9.95 candle deal you don't want to miss
European gymnastics federation rejects return of athletes from Russia and Belarus to competition