Current:Home > reviewsTradeEdge Exchange:Second American dies in Sudan amid fighting, U.S. confirms -TrueNorth Finance Path
TradeEdge Exchange:Second American dies in Sudan amid fighting, U.S. confirms
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-07 03:23:49
Washington — A second American citizen has died in Sudan amid clashes between two rival generals,TradeEdge Exchange National Security Council spokesperson John Kirby confirmed Wednesday.
"We extend our deepest condolences to the family," Kirby said in a call with reporters. "We continue to make clear at the highest level of our government to the leadership of both the Sudanese Armed Forces and the Rapid Support Forces that they are responsible for ensuring the protection of civilians and noncombatants, including people from third countries and humanitarian staff that are working to save lives."
Kirby said the person died Tuesday but did not confirm their identity. However, the Sudanese American Physicians Association said on Tuesday that Bushra Ibnauf Sulieman, a doctor who practiced medicine in the U.S. for a number of years before returning to Sudan, had been killed earlier in the day. The group said he had been on the frontlines providing emergency medical aid during the conflict and was killed outside his home while escorting his father to a medical appointment.
Sulieman was a professor of internal medicine and director of the faculty of medicine at the University of Khartoum, the association said.
Kirby said a 72-hour ceasefire brokered by the U.S. that began late Monday has mostly held, though there has been some violence between forces controlled by Gen. Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, who leads the Sudanese Armed Forces, and Gen. Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo, who is in charge of the Rapid Support Forces paramilitary group.
"We've said this many, many times, but the violence is simply unconscionable and it must stop," Kirby said.
The U.S. military evacuated American personnel from the embassy in Khartoum over the weekend and President Biden confirmed embassy operations were "temporarily" suspended.
Before the ceasefire, Americans in the country had been urged to shelter in place. Kirby said Wednesday that the U.S. is "actively facilitating the departure of a relatively small number of Americans who have indicated to us that they want to leave."
"We continue to deploy U.S. intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance assets, unmanned assets to support land evacuation routes, which Americans are using, and we're still moving naval assets within the region to provide support along the coast and offer Port Sudan," he said. "American citizens are arriving in Port Sudan and we're helping to facilitate their onward travel as appropriate."
Bo Erickson contributed reporting.
- In:
- John Kirby
- Sudan
Caitlin Yilek is a politics reporter for CBS News Digital. Reach her at [email protected]. Follow her on Twitter: https://twitter.com/hausofcait
TwitterveryGood! (225)
Related
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- Judge ending conservatorship between ex-NFL player Michael Oher and couple who inspired The Blind Side
- James Dolan’s sketch of the Sphere becomes reality as the venue opens with a U2 show in Las Vegas
- Turkey’s premier film festival is canceled following a documentary dispute
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Video provides first clear views of WWII aircraft carriers lost in the pivotal Battle of Midway
- New York flooding live updates: Heavy rains create chaos, bring state of emergency to NYC
- Giants fire manager Gabe Kapler two years after 107-win season. Could Bob Melvin replace him?
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- Inflation drops to a two-year low in Europe. It offers hope, but higher oil prices loom
Ranking
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- Paris Jackson Claps Back After Haters Call Her Haggard in Makeup-Free Selfie
- Watch livestream: Police give update on arrest of Duane Davis in Tupac Shakur's killing
- Over 93,000 Armenians have now fled disputed enclave
- The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
- Arizona’s governor didn’t ‘mysteriously’ step down. She was in DC less than a day and is back now
- Supreme Court to consider Texas and Florida laws regulating social media platforms
- Kelsea Ballerini Shuts Down Lip-Synching Accusations After People's Choice Country Awards Performance
Recommendation
Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
Turkey’s premier film festival is canceled following a documentary dispute
Israeli soldiers kill a Palestinian man in West Bank, saying he threw explosives
U2 concert uses stunning visuals to open massive Sphere venue in Las Vegas
IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
Another suit to disqualify Trump under Constitution’s “insurrection” clause filed in Michigan
Travis Barker Shares He Had Trigeminal Neuralgia Episode
A Bernalillo County corrections officer is accused of bringing drugs into the jail