Current:Home > StocksEU commission to prolong use of glyphosate for 10 more years after member countries fail to agree -TrueNorth Finance Path
EU commission to prolong use of glyphosate for 10 more years after member countries fail to agree
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-06 20:07:58
BRUSSELS (AP) — The European Commission will continue the use of the controversial chemical herbicide glyphosate in the European Union for 10 more years after the 27 member countries again failed to find a common position.
Representatives of EU states were unable to reach a decision last month, and a new vote by an appeal committee was again unconclusive on Thursday. Because of the deadlock, the EU’s executive arm said it will endorse its own proposal and renew the approval of glyphosate for 10 years, with new conditions attached.
“These restrictions include a prohibition of pre-harvest use as a desiccant and the need for certain measures to protect non-target organisms,” it said in a statement.
The chemical, which is widely used in the bloc to the great anger of environment groups, had been approved in the EU market until mid-December.
The Greens political group of the EU Parliament immediately urged the Commission to backpedal and ban the use of glyphosate.
“We should not gamble with our biodiversity and public health like this,” said Bas Eickhout, the vice chair of the Environment Committee.
Over the past decade, glyphosate, used in products like the weedkiller Roundup, has been at the heart of heated scientific debate about whether it causes cancer and its possible disruptive effect on the environment. The chemical was introduced by chemical giant Monsanto in 1974 as an effective way of killing weeds while leaving crops and other plants intact.
Bayer bought Monsanto for $63 billion in 2018 and has been trying to deal with thousands of claims and lawsuits related to Roundup. In 2020, Bayer announced it would pay up to $10.9 billion to settle about 125,000 filed and unfiled claims. Just weeks ago, a California jury awarded $332 million to a man who sued Monsanto contending that his cancer was related to decades of using Roundup.
The France-based International Agency for Research on Cancer, which is part of the World Health Organization, classified glyphosate as a “probable human carcinogen” in 2015.
But the EU’s food safety agency paved the way for a 10-year extension when it said in July it “did not identify critical areas of concern” in the use of glyphosate.
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency found in 2020 that the herbicide did not pose a health risk to people, but a federal appeals court in California last year ordered the agency to reexamine that ruling, saying it wasn’t supported by enough evidence.
EU member states are responsible for authorizing the use of products in their national markets, following a safety evaluation.
The 10-year extension proposed by the European Commission required a “qualified majority,” defined as 55% of the 27 members representing at least 65% of the total EU population of some 450 million people. Several member states abstained and that was not achieved, leaving the final say to the EU’s executive arm.
In France, President Emmanuel Macron had committed to ban glyphosate before 2021 but has since backpedaled. Germany, the EU’s biggest economy, plans to stop using it from next year, but the decision could be challenged. Luxembourg’s national ban, for instance, was overturned in court earlier this year.
Greenpeace has called on the EU to reject the market reapproval, citing studies indicating that glyphosate may cause cancer and other health problems and could also be toxic to bees. The agroindustry sector, however, says there are no viable alternatives.
veryGood! (5863)
Related
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- An asylum-seeker in UK has died onboard a moored barge housing migrants
- Fed rate hikes are over, economists say. Here's what experts say you should do with your money.
- Biden will meet with families of Americans taken hostage by Hamas on Wednesday at the White House
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- Millions in opioid settlement funds sit untouched as overdose deaths rise
- 'Home Alone' star Ken Hudson Campbell has successful surgery for cancer after crowdfunding
- US announces new sanctions on Russia’s weapons suppliers as Zelenskyy visits Washington
- Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
- Harvard president remains leader of Ivy League school following backlash on antisemitism testimony
Ranking
- Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
- Busy Rhode Island bridge closed suddenly after structural problem found, and repair will take months
- 'I'm not OK': Over 140 people displaced after building partially collapses in the Bronx
- Police and customs seize live animals, horns and ivory in global wildlife trafficking operation
- DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
- Amanda Bynes returns to the spotlight: New podcast comes post-conservatorship, retirement
- The real measure of these Dallas Cowboys ultimately will come away from Jerry World
- No victims found after seven-story building partially collapses in Bronx
Recommendation
Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
Luna Luna: An art world amusement park is reborn
North Carolina quarterback Drake Maye makes 2024 NFL draft decision
FDNY reports no victims in Bronx partial building collapse
Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
Arctic report card points to rapid and dramatic impacts of climate change
Shohei Ohtani’s massive $700 million deal with Dodgers defers $680 million for 10 years
An asylum-seeker in UK has died onboard a moored barge housing migrants