Current:Home > News2030 World Cup set to be hosted by Spain-Portugal-Morocco with 3 South American countries added -TrueNorth Finance Path
2030 World Cup set to be hosted by Spain-Portugal-Morocco with 3 South American countries added
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 21:36:37
GENEVA (AP) — A unique 2030 World Cup is set to be played in Europe and Africa with the surprising addition of South America in a deal to allow the men’s soccer tournament to start with a 100th birthday party in Uruguay.
FIFA reached an agreement Wednesday between soccer’s continental leaders to accept only one candidate for hosting the 2030 tournament, the sport’s governing body said.
The Spain-Portugal bid grew to add Morocco this year and now also includes long-time bid rivals Argentina, Paraguay and Uruguay.
A key lure of the unprecedented three-continent project is being able to open in the Uruguayan capital of Montevideo, where the Centenario Stadium hosted the inaugural 1930 World Cup final.
“The centennial World Cup could not be far from South America, where everything began,” said Alejandro Dominguez, the president of South American soccer body CONMEBOL. “The 2030 World Cup will be played in three continents.”
The consensus reached by once-rival soccer continents also let FIFA fast-track the opening of the 2034 World Cup bidding contest, limited to member federations from Asia and Oceania.
Saudi Arabia has targeted the 2034 edition and Australia also is interested after successfully co-hosting the Women’s World Cup this year with New Zealand. Either way, the 2034 tournament will almost certainly played in November and December — like last year’s World Cup in Qatar.
The FIFA Council’s acceptance of a unified 2030 candidacy still needs formal approval next year at a meeting of the 211 member federations. That should be just a formality.
“In 2030, we will have a unique global footprint, three continents — Africa, Europe and South America — six countries — Argentina, Morocco, Paraguay, Portugal, Spain and Uruguay — welcoming and uniting the world while celebrating together the beautiful game, the centenary and the FIFA World Cup,” FIFA president Gianni Infantino said in a statement.
The 48-team, 104-game tournament scheduled for June-July 2030 is planned to start with games in Uruguay, Argentina and Paraguay before the action moves to the core host nations Spain, Portugal and Morocco. It involves an unprecedented amount of travel across distances and time zones.
The South American co-host bid has been promoted since the 2018 World Cup in Russia and had included Chile, which was not mentioned Wednesday.
Ukraine was also dropped after it was added to the European bid a year ago at a news conference at UEFA headquarters in Switzerland. However, Ukraine not been mentioned in official comments about the UEFA-backed bid this year.
The first 48-team men’s World Cup will be hosted in 2026 by the United States, Canada and Mexico.
___
AP soccer: https://apnews.com/hub/soccer
veryGood! (54897)
Related
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Video captures chaotic moment when Trump reportedly shot on stage at rally
- Judge removed from long-running gang and racketeering case against rapper Young Thug and others
- When does a presumptive nominee become a nominee? Here’s how Donald Trump will make it official
- Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
- Blue-collar steel town tries to dig out from day of infamy after Trump shooting
- 2024 MLB All-Star Game full lineups: Paul Skenes, Corbin Burnes named starting pitchers
- Rep. Jason Crow says unless there is a major change, there's a high risk that Democrats lose the election
- As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
- Barbora Krejcikova beat Jasmine Paolini in thrilling women's Wimbledon final for second Grand Slam trophy
Ranking
- Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
- James B. Sikking, 'Hill Street Blues' and 'Doogie Howser, M.D.' actor, dies at 90
- Why Armie Hammer Says Being Canceled Was Liberating After Sexual Assault Allegations
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Breaking Bread
- Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
- Greg Sankey keeps door cracked to SEC expansion with future of ACC uncertain
- Nigeria school collapse kills at least 22 students as they take exams
- Princess Kate attends Wimbledon men's final in rare public appearance amid cancer treatment
Recommendation
'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
Rep. Jason Crow says unless there is a major change, there's a high risk that Democrats lose the election
At the Trump rally, it was evening sun, songs and blue sky. Then came bullets, screams and blood
'The Daily Show' revamps RNC coverage after Donald Trump rally shooting
Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
Pennsylvania State Police identify 3 victims shot at Trump rally
Copa America final: Argentina prevails over Colombia in extra time after Messi injury
Carlos Alcaraz wants a seat at the adult table after his second Wimbledon and fourth Slam trophy